Fax: (772) 462-1849
226 Courthouse Addition
218 South Second St.
Fort Pierce, Fl 34950
JA: Lynn Atkinson
Honorable Judge Mark W. Klingensmith
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Florida (1982)
- Juris Doctor, University of Florida (1985)
- Appointed by Governor Rick Scott, commissioned on July 17, 2011; elected 2012.
- Florida Bar Board Certified (Civil Trial 2001; recertified 2006, 2011)
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Super Lawyers (2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010)
- Adjunct Professor, Legal Aspects of Health Care Administration, Nova Southeastern University (Winter 1997)
- Shareholder, Sonneborn Rutter Cooney & Klingensmith PA, West Palm Beach, FL (1992-2011)
- Junior Partner, Metzger Sonneborn & Rutter PA, West Palm Beach, FL (1990-1992)
- Associate, Metzger & Sonneborn PA, West Palm Beach, FL (February 1986-1990)
- Florida Bar (admitted 1986)
- State Bar of California (inactive) (admitted 1986)
- United States Supreme Court (admitted 1991)
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida (Trial Bar)
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- Florida Conference of Circuit Judges (2011-present)
- Martin County Bar Association
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Justice Major Harding Inns of Court (Master)
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, University of Florida (President 1984-1985)
FLORIDA BAR INVOLVEMENT
- Rules of Judicial Administration Committee, The Florida Bar (2003-2009)
- Rules of Civil Procedure Committee, The Florida Bar (1997-2003)
- Steering Committee, Florida Civil Trial Practice, The Florida Bar Publications (1997-present)
- Grievance Committee for 15th Judicial Circuit (1997-2000; 2003-2005) (Chairman, 2000)
- Town of Sewall's Point, FL
- Mayor (2010-2011)
- Vice-Mayor (2009-2010)
- Commissioner, (2008-2009)
- University of Florida Law School Board of Trustees (2011-Present)
- University of Florida Law Alumni Council (President 2006-2007)
- Florida Blue Key, University of Florida
- University of Florida Alumni Association (Life Member)
- District Chairman, Treasure Coast District, Gulf Stream Council, Boy Scouts of America (2008-present)
- Executive Board, Gulf Stream Council, Boy Scouts of America (2008-present)
- Children's Services Council of St. Lucie County (2011-Present)
- Executive Roundtable of St. Lucie County (2011-Present)
- Board of Directors, Palm Glades Girl Scout Council (1993-1999)
- Editor-in-Chief, Florida Journal of International Law, University of Florida College of Law (1984-1985).
- Author: Opening Statements, Florida Civil Trial Practice (8th Ed., 2010), The Florida Bar Publications.
- Author: Attorney-Client Relationship, Florida Civil Practice Before Trial (7th Ed., 2004; 8th Ed., 2009; 9th Ed. 2011; 10th Ed. 2013), The Florida Bar Publications.
- Author: Deposing the Plaintiff's Economic Damages Experts, The Defense Speaks: FDLA Defense Manual (1st Ed., July 2006).
- Author: Compensatory Damages Slashed by Florida Court: The Impact of First Healthcare Corp. v. Estate of Barnes, Nursing Home Legal Insider, Vol. 1, Issue 1 (September 1999).
- Author: The Five Myths of Nursing Home Litigation, LRP Publications (1998).
- Author: Addressing the Younger Person in Jury Selection, Personal Injury Verdict Reviews, Vol. 6, Issue 8 (April 13, 1998).
- Author: Ten Years of Medical Malpractice Reform: Brickbats and Bouquets, FDLA Trial Advocates Quarterly (Winter 1997).
- Author: Medical Malpractice Litigation, Florida Keystone, Lawyer's Desk Library of Practice (1996).
- Co-author: The Hospital's Risk From Innkeeper to Insurer, Florida Bar Journal (July-August 1986).